Monday, June 9, 2008

proud to be the wife of..

So since we created this blog to keep friends & family updated I thought I would start with how proud I am to be the wife of my husband. Let me explain.

This year Dave was asked to be the speaker at the middle school promotion ceremony. He was chosen by the students *which was no surprise, he's been the favorite teacher since he started two years ago* and wasn't given much prompt as to what they wanted to hear from him. Dave struggled with different topics to speak on for several days. Finally he decided to combine them all into a talk entitled "8 Goals for the Next 8 Years of Your Life".

1: Learn How to Choose Friends
2: Learn How to Learn
3: Learn to Care
4: Learn to Give
5: Learn to Laugh, Specifically at Yourself
6: Learn Work Ethic
7: Learn to Take Risks
8: Learn to be OK With Who You Are

I think this was very appropriate for his final speech to his students...all year long they listened to him in the classroom speak on these life topics while he challenged them to think outside the box (or even just THINK). Not only did Dave get a standing ovation at the end of his speech many parents came up to him afterward to thank him and one even asked for a copy of speech. I know he's going to challenge his future high school students in the same way and that's one of the reasons I am proud to be "the wife" (as he so lovingly refers to me in the classroom).

2 comments:

Angie said...

I like that list, I might have to borrow that sometime.
Love the blog by the way.

Jaime said...

I am not all surprised that he is the favorite teacher at that school. He is my favorite teacher at that school.

Great list of goals. I think they will be mine for the next 8 years.

Hey, I am on your list of blog people. Yayyyy!