Tuesday, January 5, 2010

i may be going bald, but at least i'll be rich

something has been happening at my church over the last 6 months or so that has stuck out to me, i keep hearing different people say, "in x number of months i am going to be out of debt". people just don't talk like that...not even in church. i feel the norm in american society is to be in debt, assume everyone else is too, but pretend like your not.

i soon realized the cause of this phenomenon. the last couple semesters, revolution has had a small group or two study a personal finance book and people are actually excited about it.

in light of this christe and i decided to read the total money makeover and promptly made and made a new-years-and-a-half resolution, we are going to be debt free (except our house) in 18 months.

as i read this book and stroked my thinning hair up top, i became very excited about putting the old-school money lessons my parents had taught me to dave ramseys very simple very practical program.

my parents financial lessons:
  1. always give back to God

  2. save

  3. don't get into debt

  4. don't buy new cars

  5. credit cards are bad

  6. your top goal in life should not be money

  7. bless others in any way you can

the total money makeover:

  1. save money for an emergency

  2. pay off debt as quickly as possible (credit cards and new cars are bad)

  3. juice up emergency fund to 6 months income

  4. save for retirement by investing in mutual funds and kids college with ESA

  5. pay off the house

  6. get your money working harder than you work for your money

  7. give like crazy

the only real differences between the total money makeover plan and that of my parents is the simple way to exicute the plan, the hope given to those who are in debt, and the fact that when my parents were teaching me these lessons i didn't have any money.

we had james, diane and kids over for lunch soon after i had finished the book. we hadn't seen each other in a while and they asked if we had anything new going on? i explained all the cool things we were going to do (the yard, a trip to korea...etc.), then mumbled under my breath, "stupid dave ramsey". james quickly shot back, "don't worry, dave ramsey ruined our life too." yet we are both sold out to the plan.

so, i may be going bald, but at least i'll be rich.

a great book, id recommend it to anyone.

4 comments:

Sara said...

That book is awesome! Abraham and I have been reading that book and it is so good. It really motivated us! It is really hard though!

Unknown said...

Oh, come on. You're not really going bald--are you? We gave you great financial advice and great hair genes.

dad

pjlepeau said...

Dave, you are amazing and so kind. And I am glad you have FINALLY got it! Seriously I have always respected the way you and Christe handle your money...and how you handled it even "when you did not have any:!

Thanks for the suggestion for a book. I would love to read the book dad and I could have written! love you so much and will have your wife and son with me very soon!

Jaime said...

I have caught on to Dave's Principles. But now I want to make more money. So far, the only scheme I have found is to work hard and spend less.

hmmmmm.

Thanks for having us over. We had fun. Lets do it again soon.